Nevada Association of School Boards
President's Message — November 2017
It’s an exciting time of the year for the NASB governance team as we’re just days away from the Annual Conference. The planning has been underway for months, however. In fact, the planning began immediately following the 2016 Annual Conference! So why do we get excited over an event that takes a full year of planning and—I must admit—is totally exhausting! Let me tell you the things that excite us about the annual conference:
• Hearing from nationally recognized speakers on relevant educational topics;
• Seeing school trustees taking notes on things they want to take back to their districts;
• Visiting vendor displays to see the latest products for instruction, curriculum, and facilities;
• Feeling good about students from all over Nevada as trustees bond and create friendships and take new leadership skills back to their boards;
• Making new friendships and renewing old ones;
• Hearing trustees excitedly talking with their colleagues about something just learned;
• Bidding on incredible silent auction items with the money going back to young artists and their schools;
• Witnessing the recognition for one of Nevada’s boards receiving the School Board of the Year Award;
• Watching our district superintendents interact with boards and attending the Conference as governance teams; and
• Returning to our communities with a renewed dedication for public service and increased achievement for ALL Nevada students.
These are just a few of the things that excite me about the Annual Conference. I invite each of you to also get excited for a great school board professional development experience and to apply yourself to learning how to be a better board member.
This is my last President Message to you, as Stacie Wilke-McCulloch [Carson City] will become the 2018 NASB President after the Annual Conference. It has been my pleasure to work with each of you, especially the Directors from the seventeen districts and members of the Executive Committee.
The work that you do each day to increase student learning and achievement is important and changes lives. It helps shape the future of Nevada. It can change the pathways our students choose for their futures.
Thank you for sharing with me the many opportunities we have experienced over the last year. I am especially grateful to Dotty and the NASB behind-the-scenes team as well as to Jessica, Paige, and Tim for their incredible advocacy during the 2017 Session. It takes all of us working together to achieve the best public education possible for our Nevada students.
See you soon at the Annual Conference!
With warm regards,
The Nevada Association of School Boards is a full-qualified 501(c)(3) non-profit Nevada corporation.